Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pescosolido - Italy Farm Stay

Italy has the WORST public transportation system. It is standard for trains to be over an hour late, if they decide to arrive at all. They are also frequently on strike. We finally caught a ride to the farm from Naples after three trains failed to run! It was probably one of the most terrible feelings - I already have terrible anxieties.
The world's biggest train! Haha. It got us there though.

Sora. The larger (I use that adjective loosely) town outside of Pescosolido.

Sora


The farm was completely organic, and had an irrigation system setup with water from the mountains. All of the vegetation was amazing and you could eat it right off of the vine or tree.

 Pomegranates. We were told they are in season in December.

Mountains of the Abruzzi National Park.


Most of the time, menus were strictly in Italian. I was recommended this lovely dish for my second plate. I am not kidding when I say that the meat was green.

We turned this...

Into this...

Into this. Delicious! The sauce needed more garlic. The Italians are curiously stingy with garlic.
 We woke up at 5:00am to visit the shepherd:




 

They mixed the goat and sheeps' milk together.

Pecorino cheese

They then recook the milk to make ricotta, which literally translates as "recooked." Who knew?!

We drank what was left of the milk after making the two cheeses. Everyone else thought it was amazing... I found it quite terrible.



Antonello, our host, ringing his "dinner trumpet." Haha... Slip of the tongue. One of the most goofy guys I have ever met. He was also the only European we have met who understands sarcasm.

For those who did not know...
We also went horseback riding through rural Italy. We took the disposable camera, so no pictures of that adventure yet. Just know that I'm pretty sure our horses were starving and untamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment